Tuesday, April 24, 2012

(an almost complete) kl heritage trail

One day I thought to myself, "Since I have done two Ipoh heritage trails (which reminds me, trail two is yet to be posted here), why don't I try to go for KL heritage trail? Good idea, no?" Indeed a great idea! Soon, I started to google for KL heritage trail and found couple recommended trails. 

I started my trail from Masjid Jamek and walked towards Dataran Mederka along Jalan Tun Perak. At the junction, I turned to Jalan Raja.Buildings along this stretch of road are Ministry of Information, Communication and Culture buildings, Panggung Bandaraya, Sultan Abdul Samad Building and Old Post Office (photo not in this post).

masjid jamek
Masjid Jamek 

sessions and magistrate courts
Ministry of Information, Communication and Culture (Old Sessions and Magistrate Courts) 

old city hall
Panggung Bandaraya (Old City Hall)

high court building
Ministry of Information, Communication and Culture (Old High Court)


sultan abdul samad building
 Sultan Abdul Samad Building

Then I crossed the road, heading towards to the green turf (Dataran Mederka). On my right is the Cathedral of St. Mary and few metres ahead there is a building in black and white. This is the Royal Selangor Club.

cathedral of st mary
Cathedral of St. Mary


royal selangor club
Royal Selangor Club

I walked along Jalan Raja until I reached the junction with Lebuh Pasar Besar. Right in front of me, on the left side of the road is the Textile Museum and Warisan Restaurant is opposite the museum. Next to the restaurant is the KL city gallery which was Government Printing Office.

textile museum
Textile Museum (Federated Malay States Railway)

restauran warisan
Warisan Restaurant (Chartered Bank)

KL city gallery
KL city gallery (Government Printing Office)

Next, I walked heading to Medan Pasar but I detoured at Loke Yew building to take a photo of the industrial court building.

industrial court
Industrial Court

clock tower
Shoplots and clock tower at Medan Pasar

Once I have reached Medan Pasar, I wandered off to many different places; Petaling Street, Kota Raya, Masjid India and Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman to name a few. There are so many lovely buildings in the city! For more photos of other buildings taken during this trail, click here.

It was an indeed an interesting and fun outing. I think I have missed two buildings; Central Market and KL railway station and that it is the reason why I named this post (an almost complete) KL heritage trail. Or perhaps, I might have left out couple more buildings?

If you have done any version of KL heritage trails, please feel free to share.

Reference:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the pictures kak..always admired the design of Industrial Court! (didnt know the name of the building before. lol)

    ReplyDelete