Monday, April 27, 2009

Half full or half empty?

With the recent unfortunate dismissal (maybe due to bad economy, redundancy, or whatever the management wanted to claim), I guess it is time for me to take a break and think about or reflect on my life. The last time I did so was in 2003 (if I am not mistaken).

I worked in a local publishing company specializes in primary and secondary school books. Whilst working there, I had turned myself into a workaholic - worked long hours, over the weekends and stayed over night in the office just to rush for deadlines. Then, I had decided to take a break from work and enrolled myself in a short course on fashion design and dressmaking in one of local fashion schools. This was a turning point of my life. I learnt a new skill and made some incredible friends, whom I still keep in touch with until today.

Let's fast forward to 2009. I am jobless at the time of making this entry but how do I view this? Half full - it's time to take a break and think about what I want to do for the next few months or maybe years. Or half empty - I would not be able to find a better job as what I had previously or the economy is so bad that I don't think I will find a job soon enough etc.

Despite all the worries on how to move forward, how to survive etc, it teaches me to be strong and be positive. I am glad that I took the short course in fashion design and dressmaking. Now I can develop my sewing skill and make good use of it. I am planning one or two fashion or dressmaking projects. As my previous boss, Steve, mentioned to me; in difficult times lie an opportunity. Maybe this dismissal is a blessing in disguise, who knows ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment