Saturday, April 23, 2016

wanderlust: house of dior, seoul

house of dior


House of Dior, the most eye-catching architecture in the district of Gangnam, Seoul, is a work of art; combining haute couture with architecture. Christian de Portzamparc was inspired by the movement of the fabrics and the weaving effects and created a facade which would explore these elements. He further explained, "this white softness is like the couturier's toile when he's at work. It has a sense of movement that plays with light. This sculptural suppleness was my starting point".[note 1] The building was also inspired by the movement of the Cyclone and Cocotte dresses, designed by Christian Dior in 1948. It has an art gallery on the fourth floor and Cafe Dior by Pierre Herme on the top floor.

From 23rd February 2016 onwards, an exhibition entitled Lady Dior as Seen by is held. In this exhibition, you will see some of the talented international artists take on the iconic Lady Dior bag. Here's a sneak peek of the exhibition...  

dior bag 1


dior bag 2


dior 3


dior 4


dior bag 5


dior 6


After checking out the exhibition, don't forget to check out Cafe Dior on the top floor either just to have sneak peek or take a coffee break.

cafe 3

I wish I could buy one of these!

cafe 1


cafe 2


Normally, I hardly have coffee breaks at designer cafes but for this time I stopped for a much needed break after all the walking around the city. Instead of tea or coffee, I ordered a cup of hot raspberry and dark chocolate drink and macaroons. From my observation, most of the customers are young, dressed stylishly and not forgetting some tourists like myself.

Take Bundang line metro and alight at Apgujeongrodeo Station, exit 3 (if I remember correctly). Walk along the K-star Road; whereby there are many Gangnamdols of Korean artists on the opposite of the street that you are walking. The walk takes about 20 to 25 minutes. Here's the address;

House of Dior
464, Apgujeong-ro
Gangnam-gu, Seoul 

I never thought a visit to a designer boutique would turn out such a pleasant experience. Hmm... perhaps from now on, I may consider checking out designer cafes? Will see... 

On a separate note, this is my last wanderlust post on Seoul. I hope these posts would help or inspire your trip to Seoul. 

Till my next post, stay chic and have a great weekend!

Reference:

No comments:

Post a Comment