In the early 1920s, Coco Chanel has decided to design a bag that would allow her to use her arm freely due to her frustration of having to carry her handbags in her arms during social events. She added thin straps which were inspired by the straps found on soldier’s bags and introduced the resulting design to the market in 1929.
After her successful comeback to the fashion industry in 1954, Coco Chanel updated the bag for modern women. The bag was created in February 1955, thus the name 2.55. Since then, the Chanel 2.55 flap bag has become the iconic to the Chanel brand.
The features of 2.55 flap bag:
- Quilted diamond or herringbone pattern on the exterior. The pattern is believed to have been inspired by few sources for instances; by jockey’s riding coats, by the stained-glass windows of the abby at Aubazine and by the cushions in Coco Chanel’s Paris apartment.
- - The front lock is called the Mademoiselle Lock (rectangular shape) because Coco Chanel was never married.
- All chain shoulder straps.
- The backside of the bag has an outside flap.
- There is a zippered compartment inside of the front flap.
- - Burgundy lining which is believed is the colour of the uniforms at the convent where Coco Chanel grew up.
- Different type of leather which is made to seem to be more worn or vintage like leather.
The sizes for Chanel Reissue 2.55:
- The baby – 7.5 inches (W) X 5.75 inches (H) X 1.75 inches (D)
- Small – 9.75 inches (W) X 7.06 inches (H) x 2.16 inches (D)
- Medium – 11 inches (W) X 8 inches (H) X 2.5 inches (D)
- Large – 12.25 inches (W) X 9.18 inches (H) X 2.5 inches (D)
- Extra Large or Jumbo – 14.2 inches (W) X 9.8 inches (H) X 3 inches (D) – rare
Over the years, there are many variations to the 2.55 design such as the material; leather or fabric, the chain; metal or interwoven leather, the flap; single or double and the closure; mademoiselle or interlocking CC (which was introduced in 1980s by Karl Lagerfeld). In short, the 2.55 refers to all flap-style bags, including variations of the original. The term classic flap is generally refers to the flap bag with the interlocking CC lock and the leather interwoven chain.